Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pictures of my Great-Grand Daddy

James Travis and Cornelia (Salter) Travis


 
Jim Travis was often referred to as Jug... and Nally.....
He was born in November of 1874.... and somewhere in the family records I have the specific date of death as January 7, 1950 in Holmes County, Mississippi    My great-grandmother Nellie died earlier - She is recorded


Marriage Record for Cornelia Salter

Spouse: James Travis
Date: 08 Jun 1895
B/G: BRIDE
Source: Book:H Page:551
County and State: Holmes Co. MS
Notes: MINISTER: Church, B. C.
 
 
According the the 1900 Census, the couple was had been married for five years and they were the parents of Mollie (b. 11-21-1896) and Byrd Travis (b. 1898) ...   They were living in Beat 4 of Holmes County, MS.... the map shows divisions below: whether or not applicable to-date. 



This 1860 map shows the concentration of blacks living in slavery in Mississippi.
 
 
 As I search the web.... I often see Pictures and
IMAGINE
that maybe this is the look of my proud, beautiful, peaceful look of my great-grandparents....

No comments:

Post a Comment